Rea, Charles Arthur (Charles)
No. 184755, 2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Died on active service on Thursday 4 November 1943 (aged 32)
Cassino War Cemetery, Italy (Grave VII. J. 14)
Bangor and District War Memorial (as Rea C.A.)
Hamilton Road Presbyterian Church, Bangor
Charles Arthur Rea was born on 9 September 1911 at 21 Cherryville Street, Belfast and he was a son of William Robert Rea and Alice Jane Rea (nee Cowan). There is evidence that in 1901 William Robert Rea (then aged 19) was living in Hilsen Barracks, Cosham in Hampshire where he was a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery.
William Robert Rea and Alice Jane Cowan were married on 22 September 1908 in All Souls Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church, Belfast. William Robert Rea was a Constable in the Royal Irish Constabulary stationed at Mountpottinger RIC Station, Belfast and he was a son of Robert Rea, a farmer. Alice Jane Cowan from 31 Cherryville Street, Belfast was a daughter of Samuel Cowan, a grocer.
William Robert and Alice Jane Rea (nee Cowan) had at least two children:
Eileen Gertrude (born 30 March 1909 at 90 Omeath Street, Belfast)
Charles Arthur (born 9 September 1911 at 21 Cherryville Street, Belfast)
The marriage of Captain Charles Arthur Rea and Mabel Winifred Wilson, who was born on 5 October 1914, of Shepherd’s Bush, London was registered in the first quarter of 1935 in Hammersmith, London.
The birth of their son Brian W.D. Rea was registered in the first quarter of 1936, also in Hammersmith.
Charles Arthur Rea was a career soldier who served with the Irish Guards (Foot Guards) prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. During the war he served with the 2nd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and was promoted to the rank of Captain.
Captain Charles Arthur Rea (No. 184755) was 32 when he died on 4 November 1943 near Cassino in Italy during the Allied advance northwards and he is commemorated on Bangor and District War Memorial (as Rea C.A.) and in Hamilton Road Presbyterian Church, Bangor.
Mabel Winifred Rea’s death was registered in March 1994 in Hillingdon, London.