Mee, Edward George (Edward)
SS Kayeson (London), Merchant Navy
Died as the result of enemy action on Wednesday 2 October 1940 (aged 37)
No known grave
Tower Hill Memorial, London (Panel 60)
Bangor Parish Church of Ireland Church (St. Comgall’s)
Edward George Mee was born on 2 December 1902 at 9 Elingrove Terrace, Cliftonville Road, Belfast, and he was a son of Robert George Mee (born in County Londonderry) and Agnes Hannah Mee (nee Taylor). Their marriage was registered in the fourth quarter of 1894 in St. Pancras, London.
The Mee family lived at 390 Beersbridge Road, Belfast and they had three children:
Elizabeth Agnes (born in England)
Annie Louise (born 30 May 1899 at 5 Academy Road, Londonderry)
Edward George (born 2 December 1902 at 9 Elingrove Terrace, Cliftonville Road, Belfast)
Robert George Mee worked as a civil engineer and surveyor with Belfast Corporation and, after he died, Edward’s mother and two sisters lived at 15 Hamilton Road, Bangor. They worshipped in Bangor Parish Church of Ireland Church (St. Comgall’s).
The marriage of Edward George Mee and Doris Male was registered in the fourth quarter of 1930 in Birkenhead, Cheshire. For a time, Edward, and Doris Mee (nee Male) lived in Glasgow. During the Second World War, Edward Mee served as a Radio Officer in the Merchant Navy aboard SS Kayeson. SS Kayeson was a cargo steamer built in 1929 by Hawthorn Leslie and Company Ltd., Hebburn-on-Tyne, Newcastle and owned by the Kaye Steamship Company Ltd. On 2 October 1940 when on route from Liverpool to Montevideo in Uruguay with a 6,700-ton cargo of coal and general goods she sank in the North Atlantic after being torpedoed by the German submarine U-32. Some 38 crew members died.
Radio Officer Edward Mee was 37 when he died and his wife and two children were living in Wallasey, Cheshire. His mother and two sisters placed a Died on Active Service notice in the 30 November 1940 edition of the County Down Spectator and he is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial in London and in Bangor Parish Church of Ireland Church (St. Comgall’s).