Bangor and District War Memorial
The name Gibson, R.G. is commemorated on Bangor and District War Memorial.
Desk searches and public appeals to date have produced no further information and, at the time of writing, it has not been possible to determine whether R.G. Gibson was a casualty of war or if the name R.G. Gibson was inscribed on the plaque in error.
Gibson, R.T. who is also commemorated on this website is not commemorated on Bangor and District War Memorial.
The Second World War Memorial Plaque on Bangor and District War Memorial was not unveiled until November 1967 and this accounts for some of the omissions and inaccuracies in the list of inscribed names.
A notice was published in the 1 November 1963 edition of the County Down Spectator under the heading:
We Will Remember Them Roll of Honour 1935-45 War
There was a typographical error in the published war years – 1935 instead of 1939.
The wording used in the notice was as follows:
‘The British Legion Women’s Section, Bangor Branch, with the co-operation of the Men’s Branch, schools, and churches, has compiled the undernoted list of Bangor people who died in the service of their country during World War II. The object of publishing the names is to ensure that they are accurate and complete before being inscribed on the War Memorial. Relatives or friends who know of any omissions or inaccuracies in the list are asked to get in touch with Councillor J. Halley JP at the British Legion Hall or to supply the necessary information to the Spectator’.
A list of 91 names was published.
A revised list of 113 names was published in the 24 December 1963 edition of the County Down Spectator and friends and relatives were invited to take this final opportunity to make further corrections.
Then, in the 17 November 1967 edition of the County Down Spectator it was reported that a plaque bearing 117 names had been unveiled on the War Memorial.
The report indicated that Remembrance Sunday in 1967 was unique because a Roman Catholic Priest took part alongside Protestant Clergy for the first time.
The plaque was unveiled by Councillor Bertie McConnell who had been blinded whilst on active service in the Second World War and the plaque was dedicated by the Revd. W.J. McKinstry Wallace.