Chief Engineer Officer
SS River Humber (Bristol), Merchant Navy
Died as a result of a collision at sea on Tuesday 4 June 1940 (aged 32)
No known grave
Tower Hill Memorial, London, England (Panel 87)
John Gibson was born around 1908 in Pennan, Aberdeenshire and he was a son of Alexander Pratt Gibson and Mary Jane Gibson (nee West) of Aberdour, Aberdeenshire. Alexander Gibson was an oatmeal miller and he and Mary West were married around 1895. They had at least ten children including:
Barbara (born around 1897)
Alexander W. (born around 1898)
Baden P. (born around 1902)
Bertie (born around 1904)
John (born around 1908)
Charlotte (born around 1910)
John Gibson (aged 24) was the driver on a drifter when he and Christina Wiseman (a fishworker aged 17) were married on 22 December 1932 in The Manse, Aberdour (according to the forms of the Church of Scotland). Christina was a daughter of James Wiseman (a fisherman) and Christine Ann Wiseman (nee Webster) of Gardenstown, Banffshire.
During the Second World War John Gibson served with the Merchant Navy aboard the SS River Humber. Built in 1920 by Hepple and Company Ltd., South Shields and owned by Charles Neill Ltd., Bangor, the SS River Humber was on passage from Dublin to Preston in ballast when she sank after a collision with HMS Folkestone in the Irish Sea east-north-east of Skerries, Dublin. Chief Engineer Officer John Gibson was 32 when he died. Mate Jack Cully, Ordinary Seaman James McMaster and Fireman Frank Maginnis died in the same incident.
In the Register of Deceased Seamen it is recorded that Chief Engineer Officer John Gibson lived for a time at 26 Primrose Street, Bangor. He is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial in London.