Boocock, John (No. 1605531)

Boocock, John

Lance Sergeant

No. 1605531, 199 Battery, 81 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery

Killed in a motorcycle accident on Saturday 10 April 1943 (aged 30)


Gateshead (Saltwell) Cemetery, Durham (Division 1 Grave 381)


Commonwealth War Graves Commission


John Boocock’s birth was registered in the fourth quarter of 1913 in Gateshead, Durham and he was a son of John Henry Boocock who was born in 1873 in Halifax, Yorkshire, and Edith Louise Boocock (nee Hunt) who was born in 1877 in Woolwich, Kent.

John Henry Boocock served with the Royal Garrison Artillery (No. 87471) and he and Edith Hunt were married in Halifax Parish Church of England Church, Yorkshire on 20 August 1902.  They had at least four children:

Norman (born in Bombay on 13 June 1903)

Maude (born in St. Helena on 20 November 1904)

Winifred (born in the Isle of Wight on 28 February 1907)

John (born in Gateshead in 1913)

John Henry Boocock was discharged on 10 November 1912 at Pembroke Dock at the end of his second period of engagement.  On 12 September 1914 he rejoined the colours and served with the Royal Garrison Artillery during the First World War until he was discharged on 24 March 1916 because his services were no longer required.

During the Second World War John Boocock served with 199 Battery, 81 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery and in the 17 April 1943 edition of the Newtownards Chronicle under the headline Tragic Accident Near Ballywalter – Lance Sergeant Burned To Death the death of John Boocock was reported.  Lance Sergeant Boocock was burned to death in a motorcycle crash which happened about 11.00 pm on Saturday 10 April 1943 in the Roddens district when he was travelling from the RAF site at Ballywalter to RAF Ballyhalbert.  Close to The Cosy Café his motorcycle skidded onto the bank, travelled a short distance along the grass, struck a stone and overturned onto the road.  John Boocock was pinned beneath the machine which burst into flames.  Andrew Gilmore who lived at The Warren, Roddens together with a passing airman, LAC Joseph Waite, extinguished the flames but, when John Boocock was extricated, he was dead.  The Coroner’s verdict was that death was caused by multiple severe burns.  Aged 30 and from Gateshead, Lance Sergeant John Boocock was buried in Gateshead (Saltwell) Cemetery, Durham.