No. 2895, 5th Battalion, Connaught Rangers
Died in service on Sunday 2 July 1916 (aged 20)
Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery, Greece (Grave 184)
Bangor and District War Memorial
Royal British Legion (Bangor Branch) Memorial Plaque
Comrades of the Great War (Bangor Branch) Album in North Down Museum
In some records, his surname is spelt Taggart and in others Taggert.
James Teggart was born in the townland of Loughkeelan, Strangford and he was a son of Hugh and Catherine Teggart (nee Shields, sometimes Sheals) who were married on 14 February 1887 in Ballycruttle Roman Catholic Church. Hugh Teggart was a son of Hugh Teggart, a farmer. Catherine Sheals was a daughter of William Sheals, a farmer.
The Teggart family lived in Loughkeelan; at 123 Lord Street, Belfast; at 2 Lismore Street, Ormeau, Belfast; in Ballyvernott and at 8 Church Street, Bangor.
Hugh Teggart worked as an agricultural labourer and he and Catherine had at least eight children including:
Mary Ann (born 13 December 1888 in Loughkeelan)
Richard Joseph (born 30 April 1890 in Loughkeelan)
James (born 4 December 1895 in Loughkeelan)
Catherine (5 February 1897 at 123 Lord Street, Belfast; died 15 September 1897)
Hugh (born 14 April 1899 at 2 Lismore Street, Belfast)
Catherine Ellen (Kathleen, born 23 June 1900 at 2 Lismore Street, Belfast)
John (born 19 November 1908 in Ballyvernott)
Their mother, Catherine Teggart died of cerebral disease on 2 January 1910 while the Teggart family was living at 8 Church Street, Bangor.
James Teggart enlisted in Belfast and he served with the 5th Battalion Connaught Rangers.
Private James Teggart (No. 2895) was 20 when he died at Salonika on 2 July 1916 and he was buried in Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery, Greece. There is an inscription on his CWGC headstone:
LORD HAVE MERCY ON HIM
Private James Teggart (No. 2895) is commemorated as James Taggert on Bangor and District War Memorial; on the Royal British Legion (Bangor Branch) Memorial Plaque and in the Comrades of the Great War (Bangor Branch) Album in North Down Museum (Page 63).