Taylor, David (No. 18148)

Taylor, David

Private

No. 12579, Princess Victoria’s (Royal Irish Fusiliers), transferred to

No. 18148, 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment

Died of wounds on Saturday 16 December 1916 (aged 31)

Buried:

Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery, Belgium (Grave X. 46)

Commemorated:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Newtownards and District War Memorial

Newtownards Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Mark’s)

BIOGRAPHY

David Taylor was born on 29 August 1885 in George’s Street, Newtownards and he was the only son of Sarah Taylor.

Sarah Taylor worked as a flowerer (embroiderer) and she had at least three children:

David (born 29 August 1885 in George’s Street, Newtownards)

Caroline (born 25 December 1892 in George’s Street, Newtownards)

Violet (born 12 May 1901 in George’s Street, Newtownards)

Sarah Taylor lived with her sister and brother-in-law, Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Joseph Crothers (sometimes Carothers) and their family in Newtownards, in George’s Street and later in Queen Street.

At the time of David’s death his mother, Sarah Taylor, was living at 82 Movilla Street, Newtownards and later she moved to 34 The Butts, Kilwinning, Ayrshire.

Prior to the outbreak of the Great War David Taylor worked as a general labourer.  He enlisted in Newtownards, served initially with the 6th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (No. 12579) in 31st Brigade of the 10th (Irish) Division and went to Gallipoli on 14 August 1915.  After being wounded there he was transferred to the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in 49th Brigade of the 16th (Irish) Division and he was 31 when he died of wounds on 16 December 1916.

Lieutenant Clifford C.F. Smith wrote to Sarah Taylor to express his sympathy and, in his letter, he told her that David had been ‘wounded by a shell’ and that he had ‘died peacefully in hospital’.

Private David Taylor (No. 18148) was buried in Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery, Belgium and he is commemorated on Newtownards and District War Memorial and in Newtownards Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Mark’s).