Stevenson, James Croskery (James)
No. 7180, 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Killed in action on Saturday 8 July 1916 (aged 27)
No known grave
Thiepval Memorial, France (Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B)
Newtownards and District War Memorial
First Newtownards Presbyterian Church
In some records his surname is spelt Steenson.
James Croskery Stevenson was born on 10 November 1887 in the townland of Castleaverry, Newtownards and he was a son of William and Sarah Stevenson (nee Croskery, sometimes Croskerry) who were married on 24 December 1869.
The Stevenson family lived in the townlands of Ballybundon, Drumreagh, Granshaw, Castleaverry and in Mill Street, Newtownards.
William Stevenson worked as a labourer and he and Sarah had at least eight children:
Eliza Jane (born 23 November 1870 in Ballybundon)
Agnes Beattie (born 30 March 1872 in Ballybundon)
Anna (born 20 November 1874 in Ballybundon)
Ellen (born 11 April 1877 in Drumreagh)
Sarah (born 29 July 1879)
John (born 26 January 1882 in Granshaw)
Maggie (born 7 September 1884 in Granshaw)
James Croskery (born 10 November 1887 in Castleaverry)
John and Maggie were baptised in Granshaw Presbyterian Church, Moneyreagh.
James Stevenson lived with his brother and sisters at 25 Church Street in Newtownards and prior to the outbreak of the Great War he worked in the Royal Nurseries, Newtownards.
James Stevenson enlisted in Newtownards, joined the 4th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (Royal North Downs) and undertook his training at Holywood. Subsequently he was drafted to the 2nd Battalion and went to France where he served in 74th Brigade of the 25th Division.
Rifleman James Croskery Stevenson (No. 7180) was 28 when he was killed while his Battalion was holding the line on 8 July 1916 during the Battle of the Somme and he has no known grave.
Rifleman James Croskery Stevenson’s brother and sisters placed a For King and Country notice in the 5 August 1916 edition of the Newtownards Chronicle.
Rifleman James Croskery Stevenson (No. 7180) is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France; on Newtownards and District War Memorial and in First Newtownards Presbyterian Church.