Smyth, John Dickson (John)
No. 18786, ‘B’ Company, 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Killed in action on Monday 6 August 1917 (aged 21)
Potijze Chateau Grounds Cemetery, Belgium (Grave II. E. 21)
Comber and District War Memorial
Journey of Remembering Belfast Book of Honour
In some records his surname is spelt Smith.
John Dickson Smyth was born on 28 April 1896 in High Street, Comber and he was a son of David and Elizabeth Smyth (nee Dickson) who were married on 24 July 1886 in Granshaw Presbyterian Church Comber. David Smyth, a flax-dresser from Comber, was a son of James Smyth, a labourer. Elizabeth Dickson from Comber was a daughter of John Dickson, a labourer.
David and Elizabeth Smyth had six children including:
James (born 6 August 1887 in High Street, Comber)
David (born 3 November 1889 in High Street, Comber)
Maria Lucinda (born 20 November 1892 in High Street, Comber)
John Dickson (born 28 April 1896 in High Street, Comber)
Robert (born around 1899)
The Smyth family lived in High Street, Comber and then in Mill Street, Comber.
David was the first of the two brothers to be killed in action.
John Dickson Smyth enlisted in Comber, he served with the 13th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 108th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division and he was wounded at the Battle of the Somme.
Rifleman John Smyth (No. 18786) recovered and returned to the Front and he was 21 when he was killed by enemy shellfire in the early morning of 6 August 1917 when the Battalion was holding the line prior to the Battle of Langemarck. He was buried in Potijze Chateau Grounds Cemetery, Belgium.
By the time Rifleman John Smyth (No. 18786) died the Smyth family had moved from Comber to 49 Beersbridge Road, Belfast.
Rifleman John Smyth (No. 18786) is commemorated on Comber and District War Memorial and in the Belfast Book of Honour (Page 598).