Murdock, Samuel (No. 18533)

Murdock, Samuel


No. 18533, ‘A’ Company, 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Killed in action on Thursday 16 August 1917 (aged 21)


New Irish Farm Cemetery, Belgium (Grave VII. E. 17)


Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Holywood and District War Memorial

First Holywood Presbyterian Church

Brother of Rifleman Henry Murdock (No. 6018)


In some records his surname is spelt Murdoch.

Samuel Murdock was born on 7 January 1896 in Hill Street, Holywood and he was a son of Samuel and Mary Murdock (nee Best) who were married on 11 May 1891 in St Anne’s Church of Ireland Church Belfast.  Samuel Murdock (aged 26) from 16 Maria Street, Belfast was a son of Samuel Murdock, a blacksmith.  Mary Best (aged 25), a charwoman from 28 Christopher Street, Belfast was a daughter of John Best, a labourer.

The Murdock family lived at 7 Spencer Street, Holywood.

Samuel Murdock worked as a labourer in the gas works and he and Mary had at least seven children:

Henry (born 11 April 1892 in Hill Street, Holywood)

Mary (born 10 February 1894 in Hill Street, Holywood)

Samuel (born 7 January 1896 in Hill Street, Holywood)

Alexander (born 18 January 1898 in Spencer Street, Holywood)

Ellen (born 30 January 1900 in Spencer Street, Holywood)

Elizabeth (born 5 August 1902 in Spencer Street, Holywood)

John (born 5 July 1904 in Spencer Street, Holywood)

Henry, Samuel and Alexander all served with the Royal Irish Rifles during the Great War.  Alexander was wounded twice and survived.  Henry and Samuel were both killed in action and Henry was the first of the two brothers to die.

Prior to the outbreak of the Great War Samuel Murdock worked as a general labourer.  He enlisted in Holywood and served with the 13th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 108th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division.

Rifleman Samuel Murdock (No. 18533) was 21 when he was killed in action on 16 August 1917 at Langemarck during the Third Battle of Ypres and he was buried in New Irish Farm Cemetery, Belgium

Rifleman Samuel Murdock (No. 18533) is commemorated on Holywood and District War Memorial and in First Holywood Presbyterian Church.