Moore, Samuel Kerr

Moore, Samuel Kerr (Samuel)


No. 688, 3rd Battalion, South African Infantry

Second Lieutenant

2nd Battalion, Rifle Brigade

Killed in action on Monday 25 February 1918 (aged 28)


Oxford Road Cemetery, Belgium (Grave V. H. 4)


Commonwealth War Graves Commission


The death of Second Lieutenant Samuel Kerr Moore (No. 688) was reported in the 9 March 1918 edition of the County Down Spectator under the headline Bangor Officer Killed.

Samuel Kerr Moore was born on 18 January 1890 at 21 Annalee Street, Belfast and he was a son of John and Annabella Slater Moore (nee Edmonds, born Co Longford) who lived in Belfast and Bangor – in Holborn Street, then Clifton Street and then Central Avenue

John Moore was a clerk and grocer and he and Annabella had at least fifteen children including:

Annabella Edmonds (born 6 January 1876 at 91 Albertbridge Road, Belfast)

Mary (Minnie, born 12 November 1877)

Rachel Georgina (born 29 July 1879 at 17 Gosford Street, Belfast)

William (born 20 April 1881)

Charles Spurgeon (born 23 March 1886 at 15 Majorca Street, Belfast)

Florence (born 4 June 1887)

Samuel Kerr (born 18 January 1890 at 21 Annalee Street, Belfast)

Roberta (born 22 March 1891)

Richard Leonard Schmidt (born 23 June 1892 at 31 Brookhill Avenue, Belfast)

Samuel Kerr Moore moved to South Africa and shortly after the outbreak of war he enlisted and served under General Botha, fighting against the Germans in the South-West Campaign.  At the end of that campaign he was discharged and subsequently re-enlisted in the South African Infantry for service in Europe.  After a brief spell in Egypt at the beginning of 1916 he was transferred to the Western Front where he was twice wounded.  In 1917 he was sent to a cadet unit where he qualified for a temporary commission and was gazetted to the Rifle Brigade (London Gazette 8 May 1917).

Second Lieutenant Samuel Kerr Moore was 28 when he was killed in action on 25 February 1918 and after he died his company commander wrote, ‘He was hit in the head by a machine-gun bullet.  Everything possible was done for him but he was unconscious from the start and he died on the way to the dressing station’.

Mrs M. Cameron of 35 Kenilworth Court, Putney received his medals.