Moore, Hugh (No. 24855)

Moore, Hugh


No. 24855, 2nd Battalion, Border Regiment

Killed in action on Thursday 4 October 1917 (aged 27)

No known grave


Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium (Panel 85 to 86)


Hugh Moore was born on 14 August 1890 at Ballymacormick, Bangor and he was a son of William and Mary Ann Moore (nee McBurney) who were married on 11 May 1882 in Mourne Presbyterian Church, Kilkeel.  William Moore, a gamekeeper in Mourne Park was a son of John Moore, a labourer.  Mary Ann McBurney from Magheramurphy was a daughter of John McBurney, a land-steward.

Hugh Moore went to live with his uncle Thomas Speirs (sometimes Speers) and aunt Jane Speirs (nee McBurney) at 13 Hilden Cottages, Cleator, Cumberland.   Thomas Spiers (son of William Spiers, a farmer) worked as a shoemaker and he and Jane McBurney (daughter of John McBurney, a land-steward) were married on 26 June 1885 in Mourne Presbyterian Church, Kilkeel.

Thomas and Jane Spiers had at least eight children:

Sarah E (born around 1886/1887)

Janie (born around 1887/1888)

William J (born around 1890/1891)

Thomas (born around 1892/1893)

Sam (born around 1894/1895)

Emily (born around 1896/1897)

Alexander (born around 1898/1899)

Robert (born around 1900)

Hugh Moore worked as a blast furnace-man before he enlisted on 24 February 1916 at Cleator Moor, Cumberland.  In his attestation papers it was noted that he was 5 feet 8¼ inches tall and that his teeth were defective but not sufficiently bad to cause rejection.  He cited his aunt Jane Speirs of 13 Hilden Cottages, Cleator, Cumberland as his next-of-kin and it was noted that both of his parents were deceased; he had no grandparents, no brothers, no sisters, no wife and no children.  He declared his age to be 25 years 6 months.

Private Hugh Moore was mobilized on 12 May 1916 and he sailed from Folkestone to France on 6 October 1916.  On 30 December 1916 he was admitted to hospital suffering from acute nephritis.  He was transferred by hospital ship (Dunluce Castle) to England and was in hospital for 130 days from 13 January 1917 to 22 May 1917.  On 29 July 1917 Private Hugh Moore sailed from Folkestone to Boulogne and then travelled on to Etaples.  He joined battle on 16 August 1917 and was 27 when he was killed in action on 4 October 1917.  He has no known grave and he died intestate.

Private Hugh Moore (No. 24855) is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium.