No. 7524, 14th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Killed in action on Thursday 16 August 1917 (aged 23)
No known grave
Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium (Panel 138 to 140 & 162 to 162A & 163B)
In the Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914 – 1919 database it is recorded that Rifleman Robert McCormick (No. 7524) was born in the townland of Donegore, Co Antrim; lived in Holywood and enlisted in Belfast.
Robert McCormick was born in Donegore on 18 November 1893 and he was a son of William and Agnes McCormick (nee Mawhinney) who were married on 25 April 1887 in St Anne’s Church of Ireland Church Belfast. William McCormick, a labourer from Wilford Street, Belfast was a son of Robert McCormick, a labourer. Agnes Mawhinney from Lime Street, Belfast was a daughter of Arthur Mawhinney, a labourer.
William and Agnes McCormick (nee Mawhinney) had at least five children:
Ann Bella (Anna born 29 July 1887 in Cloughanduff, Templepatrick; married Andrew Barbour on 2 September 1904 in Donegore Parish Church of Ireland Church)
Jane (born 4 March 1889 in Donegore)
Isabella (born 3 June 1890 in Donegore)
Robert (born 18 November 1893 in Donegore)
Susan Josephine (born 20 October 1895 in Donegore)
After their father William died of pneumonia on 8 December 1897 (aged 37), their mother Agnes worked as a seamstress. Agnes McCormick died of cancer on 12 January 1915 (aged 58).
Prior to the outbreak of the Great War Robert McCormick worked as a gardener and during the war he served with the 14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 109th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division. Rifleman Robert McCormick was 23 when he was killed in action on 16 August 1917 during the Battle of Langemarck and he has no known grave. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium.
In the Army Registers of Soldiers’ Effects there is a reference to his sister Jane, his sister Isabella, his sister Susan, his sister Anna Barbour, his sister Mary Black and his half brother James. Mary McCormick (aged 23) and a daughter of William McCormick (deceased) married James Black on 7 February 1908 in Ballyclare Methodist Church.