Inglis, James Malcolm
9th Battalion, Princess Victoria’s (Royal Irish Fusiliers)
Died of wounds on Saturday 26 October 1918 (aged 19)
Terlincthun British Cemetery, France (Grave VI D 2)
Holywood and District War Memorial
Holywood Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Philip & St James)
Rockport School Craigavad
James Malcolm Inglis was born on 6 July 1899 at Miramar, Cultra and he was the only child of William Malcolm Inglis and Clara Montague Inglis (nee Mulligan) who were married on 2 March 1897 in Holywood Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Philip & St James). William Malcolm Inglis was a merchant from Holywood and he was a son of James Inglis, a merchant. Clara Montague Mulligan from Holywood was a daughter of James Mulligan, a merchant.
William Malcolm Inglis is variously described as a merchant; a director and secretary of Joint Stock Company; a master baker and a company director.
The Inglis family lived with Clara’s widowed mother, Sophia Mulligan, at 10 Marine Parade, Holywood and in the townland of Ballycultra.
James Malcolm Inglis was six when his father, William Malcolm Inglis, a company director, died of typhoid fever on 22 August 1905 at Miramar, Ballycultra (aged 33).
James Inglis was educated at Rockport School, the Leas School Hoylake and Shrewsbury School.
After he enlisted he undertook his Cadet course at Cambridge and was gazetted Second Lieutenant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers from 23 June 1918 (Supplement to the London Gazette dated 29 July 1918).
Second Lieutenant James Malcolm Inglis went to France on 7 September 1918 and, a little more than a month later, on 26 October 1918 he died in No. 8 Stationary Hospital of wounds sustained on 16 October at Courtrai.
Second Lieutenant James Malcolm Inglis was 19 when he died and he was buried in Terlincthun British Cemetery, France. There is an inscription on his CWGC headstone:
HIS HAS NOT BEEN
A LIFE CUT OFF OR WASTED
BUT A LIFE FULFILLED
Second Lieutenant James Malcolm Inglis is commemorated on Holywood and District War Memorial and on the Memorial Plaques in Holywood Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Philip & St James) and Rockport School Craigavad.