No. 16/695, 16th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles, transferred to
No. 513447, 889th Area Employment Company, Labour Corps
Died of disease on Sunday 9 February 1919 (aged 24)
Comber New Cemetery, Co. Down (Grave 5. 80)
Comber and District War Memorial
First Comber Presbyterian Church
Alexander Glover was born on 15 August 1894 in Castle Street, Comber and he was a son of Alexander and Agnes Glover (nee Mullan) who were married on 22 November 1889 in Dundonald Presbyterian Church. Alexander Glover from Comber was a son of John Glover, a farmer. Agnes Mullan from Comber was a daughter of James Mullan, a labourer.
The Glover family lived in Mill Street, Comber and in Castle Street, Comber.
Alexander Glover Senior worked as a car driver and he and Agnes had eleven children:
James (born 5 January 1890 in Crescent, Comber; died of pneumonia 18 August 1909 in Castle Street, Comber aged 19)
John (born 7 May 1891 in Mill Street, Comber; died of enteric fever 7 February 1894 in Castle Street, Comber aged 2)
Ruth (born 22 July 1892 in Mill Street, Comber)
Alexander (born 15 August 1894 in Castle Street, Comber)
Lizzie (born 7 February 1896 in Castle Street, Comber)
John (born 11 February 1898 in Castle Street, Comber)
Colville (born 5 November 1899 in Castle Street, Comber)
Robert (born 26 October 1901 in Castle Street, Comber)
George (born 29 April 1904 in Castle Street, Comber)
Henrietta (born 21 March 1906 in Castle Street, Comber)
Frederick Jeffers (born 16 July 1908 in Comber)
Alexander Glover Junior worked as an oiler before he enlisted. He served with the 16th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles and went to France on 2 October 1915 with the 36th (Ulster) Division. He was wounded on 4 July 1916 and required surgery to his hand. He re-joined his battalion in August and the following year, after three periods of illness, he was transferred to the Labour Corps.
Rifleman Alexander Glover (No. 513447) survived the war but he died of pneumonia at home on 9 February 1919 and was buried in Comber New Cemetery.
Rifleman Alexander Glover (No. 513447) is commemorated on Comber and District War Memorial and in First Comber Presbyterian Church.