No. 1011, 14th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Killed in action on 16 August 1917 (aged 34)
No known grave
Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium (Panel 138 to 140 & 162 to 162A & 163A)
Newtownards and District War Memorial
Presbyterian Church in Ireland (PCI) Roll of Honour 1914 – 1919 for
Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church Newtownards
John Fullerton was born on 9 February 1883 in Kircubbin and he was a son of Thomas and Mary Fullerton (nee Cooper) who were married on 24 December 1880 in Second Ballywalter Presbyterian Church. Thomas Fullerton from Ballyfrench was a son of William Fullerton, a shoemaker. Mary Cooper from Ballywalter was a daughter of John Cooper, a mason.
The Fullerton family lived at 26 Court Street, Newtownards.
Thomas Fullerton worked as a shoe and boot-maker and later as a carter. He and Mary had at least eight children:
William (born 2 July 1881 in Kircubbin)
John (born 9 February 1883 in Kircubbin)
Robert (born 5 January 1885 in Kircubbin)
Margaret (Maggie, born 7 December 1887 in Ballyeasborough)
Jane (born 1 February 1890 in Ballyeasborough)
Joseph McMaster (born at 11.00 pm 20 January 1892 in Ballyeasborough; died of influenza 15 February 1892)
Thomas (born at 11.20 pm 20 January 1892 in Ballyeasborough; died of influenza 5 February 1892)
Mary (born 1 March 1893 in Kircubbin)
William, John and Robert Fullerton were baptised in Kircubbin Presbyterian Church.
Maggie, Jane, Thomas and Joseph Fullerton were baptised in Glastry Presbyterian Church.
Prior to the outbreak of the Great War John Fullerton worked as a bricklayer’s labourer.
John Fullerton enlisted in Newtownards and he served with the 14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 109th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division. In August 1917 he was posted as missing in action during the Third Battle of Ypres and in December 1917 it was officially confirmed that he must be presumed to have been killed in action.
Rifleman John Fullerton is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium; on Newtownards and District War Memorial and in the PCI Roll of Honour for Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church Newtownards.