Earney, Henry (No. 25882)

Earney, Henry (Harry)

Corporal

No. 25882, 7th/8th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Died of wounds on Saturday 8 December 1917 (aged 20)

Buried:

Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension, France (Grave I. C. 10)

Commemorated:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Comber and District War Memorial

Comber Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Mary’s)

BIOGRAPHY

Henry Earney was born on 7 June 1897 in Rademon, Crossgar and he was the third son of Walter James Earney and Rose Earney (nee Rogers).  Walter Earney worked as a gamekeeper and both he and his wife were born in England.  They were married in 1894 in Alderbury, Wiltshire and they had at least seven children:

Edward (born 22 January 1895 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Frank (born 13 March 1896 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Henry (Harry, born 7 June 1897 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Frederick William (Fred, born 29 January 1899 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Edith Rose (born 8 December 1900 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Walter (born 25 October 1903 in Rademon, Crossgar)

Ellen Louisa (born 17 February 1911)

Prior to the Great War Harry Earney worked as a gardener and he was a member of the South Down Battalion of the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF).  Harry was awarded a UVF medal for being the best shot.  He enlisted on 26 August 1915 in Belfast and went to France on 17 February 1916.

Corporal Harry Earney served with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and on 8 December 1917 he died of wounds sustained the previous day.  After he died his Commanding Officer wrote a letter to Harry’s mother.  His Commanding Officer said that Harry was one of the youngest in his company when they arrived at the Front and he paid tribute to Harry’s ‘splendid work in the sniping section’.  At the time of Harry’s death his parents were living in the townland of Carnasure, Comber.

Corporal Harry Earney was 20 when he died and he was buried in Villers-Faucon Communal Cemetery Extension, France.  He is commemorated on Comber and District War Memorial and in Comber Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Mary’s).