Dynes, John (No. 1112)

Dynes, John


No. 1112, 9th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Killed in action on Saturday 1 July 1916 (aged 48)

No known grave


Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Thiepval Memorial, France (Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B)

Broadway Presbyterian Church Belfast

Journey of Remembering Belfast Book of Honour


In the Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914 – 1919 database it is recorded that John Dynes (No. 1112) was born in Killinchy.

John Dynes (sometimes Dines) and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Stuart (sometimes Stewart) were married on 31 January 1898 in Killinchy Presbyterian Church.  John Dynes was a full-age bachelor and sailor from Killyleagh and his father was named as William Geddis, a labourer.  Lizzie Stuart was a full-age spinster and house-servant from Killyleagh and she was a daughter of John Stuart, a shoemaker.

The Dynes family lived in Seaview Street, Killyleagh and they had at least three children including:

George (born 31 July 1898 in Killyleagh)

John (born 29 December 1899 in Killyleagh)

The Dynes family moved from Killyleagh to Belfast where they lived at 30 Ardgowan Street.

John Dynes Senior enlisted in Belfast, he served with the 9th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 107th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division and he was 48 when he was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.  He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

At the time of John’s death, Lizzie and their two sons were living at 8 Lecale Street, Donegall Road, Belfast.  In his will, John Dynes left all his property and effects to his wife Lizzie.

Rifleman John Dynes is commemorated in Broadway Presbyterian Church Belfast and in the Belfast Book of Honour (Page 173).

John Dynes Junior worked as a brakeman on the railway and he died on 11 January 1919 (aged 19) as the result of an accident.

Lizzie Dynes died of cancer on 21 June 1919 (aged 48).

During the Great War, George Dynes (No. 17/807) served with the 17th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles.  He enlisted in Belfast on 24 May 1915 and at attestation he declared that he was 19 (he was in fact 15).  He went to France on 2 October 1915 and was wounded on 26 March 1918.  Rifleman George Dynes was discharged from the Army on 15 March 1919 and he worked as a tram conductor.  George Dynes died on 8 March 1941 (aged 42).