Crozier, Frederick William (No. 6025)

Crozier, Frederick William (Willie)

Rifleman

No. 6025, ‘A’ Company, 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Killed in action on Saturday, 19 May 1917 (aged 29)

Buried:

Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery, Belgium (Grave N 78)

Commemorated:

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Bangor and District War Memorial

Royal British Legion (Bangor Branch) Memorial Plaque

Comrades of the Great War (Bangor Branch) Album in North Down Museum

Bangor Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Comgall’s)

Family grave headstone in Bangor Cemetery, Newtownards Road, Bangor

BIOGRAPHY

Frederick William (Willie) Crozier was born on 11 March 1888 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh and he was a son of William James and Henrietta Crozier (nee Neill) who were married on 11 July 1872 in Seapatrick Church of Ireland Church, Banbridge, Co Down.  William James Crozier was a land steward, full age, bachelor, son of John Crozier (a farmer) and he lived in the townland of Tullyconnaught, Banbridge.  Henrietta Neill, aged 17 was a daughter of Samuel Neill, a farmer, and she lived in the townland of Balleevy, Banbridge.

The Crozier family lived in Carrickblacker, Portadown before moving to Bangor in the late 1890s where they lived at 71 Castle Street and 4 Castle Cottages.

William James Crozier was a coachman and he and Henrietta had six children:

Annie (born 15 November 1873 in Lisnasliggan, Banbridge, Co Down)

Frederick William (born 29 June 1877 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh, died)

Walter Henry (born 15 October 1881 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh)

Henrietta (Rita, born 15 April 1886 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh)

Frederick William (Willie, born 11 March 1888 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh)

Elizabeth May (May, born 17 May 1895 in Carrickblacker, Portadown, Co Armagh)

Before the outbreak of the Great War Willie Crozier was employed by Lady Clanmorris as a gardener at Bangor Castle, a position he had held for some twelve years.  His mother Henrietta died on 9 November 1923 (aged 64) and his father William James died on 22 January 1926 (aged 80).

Willie Crozier joined the Army and served with the 13th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 108th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division.  He was wounded in the left arm on the first day of the Battle of the Somme and he was killed in action at Kemmel Hill on 19 May 1917 (aged 29).

Rifleman Frederick William (Willie) Crozier was buried in Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery, Belgium and there is an inscription on his CWGC headstone:

EVER REMEMBERED

BY HIS FATHER AND MOTHER

SISTERS AND BROTHERS

When Rifleman Frederick William (Willie) Crozier died, his elder and only brother, Sergeant Walter Henry Crozier, 5th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles was stationed at Clandeboye.

Walter Henry Crozier and Annie Nelson were married on 23 September 1902 in St Anne’s Church of Ireland Church Belfast and they had six sons, two of whom died in the Second World War:

William James (Willie, born 13 January 1903; drowned in the Nile while on R&R in Second World War – information per a family member)

Hugh Nelson (born 28 April 1905; died 10 January 1906)

Walter Henry (Walter, born 8 January 1907; served in the Second World War, Army Number 131397, RASC, awarded the Africa Star with 8th Army clasp; died 1 May 1986)

Archibald (Archie, born 31 July 1909; died 15 September 1941, never recovered after being in the water at Dunkirk – information per a family member)

Frederick (Freddie, born 27 August 1912, served in the Second World War and survived, Army Number 131396; died April/May 1986)

Samuel Finlay Kitchener (Samuel, born 9 Nov 1914)

Their mother, Annie Crozier, died on 11 December 1914 (aged 32) of debility following Samuel’s birth.

Samuel Crozier was adopted by a Captain Brown of Ballyholme – information per a family member.

Rifleman Frederick William (Willie) Crozier (No. 6025) is commemorated on Bangor and District War Memorial; on the Royal British Legion (Bangor Branch) Memorial Plaque; in the Comrades of the Great War (Bangor Branch) Album in North Down Museum; in Bangor Parish Church of Ireland Church (St Comgall’s) and on the family grave headstone in Bangor Cemetery, Newtownards Road, Bangor.