Bailie, James Cowan (James)
No. 18867, ‘A’ Company, 13th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles
Killed in action on Saturday 1 July 1916 (aged 22)
No known grave
Thiepval Memorial, France (Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B)
Portaferry Presbyterian Church
Portaferry Orange Hall (LOL 673)
Family grave headstone in Ballymanish Graveyard, Portaferry
James Cowan Bailie (known as James) was born on 23 October 1893 in Portaferry and he was a son of John and Jane Bailie (nee Smith, sometimes Smyth) who were married on 30 August 1876 in Ardquin Parish Church of Ireland Church Portaferry. John Bailie, a carpenter from Ballyhurley, was a son of James Bailie, a land steward. Jane Smith from Portaferry was a daughter of John Smith, a seaman.
The Bailie family lived in the townland of Priest Town, Portaferry and also in Big Back Lane, Portaferry.
John Bailie was a carpenter, farmer and shopkeeper and he and Jane had seven children:
Jane (Jeannie or Jinnie, born 18 July 1877 in Portaferry; died 5 June 1947 aged 69)
Henry Russell (Harry, born 30 October 1880 in Portaferry)
Louis (born 18 October 1884 in Portaferry; died in infancy)
Ellen (Nellie, born 27 May 1886 in Portaferry; died in infancy)
Bessie (born 3 March 1890 in Portaferry; died 22 April 1947 aged 57)
James Cowan (born 23 October 1893 in Portaferry)
John (born 4 February 1895 in Portaferry)
Their father, John Bailie, died on 1 October 1930 (aged 79) and their mother, Jane Bailie, died on 23 July 1935 (aged 80).
James Bailie enlisted in Ballywalter and served with the 13th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles in 108th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division. He went to France in October 1915.
Lance Corporal James Bailie (No. 18867) was 22 when he was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme and he has no known grave.
Lance Corporal James Bailie (No. 18867) is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial in France; in Portaferry Presbyterian Church; in Portaferry Orange Hall (LOL 673) and on the family grave headstone in Ballymanish Graveyard, Portaferry.