Regent House School Newtownards
History (as per framed document in School entrance hall)
The Intermediate Education Act 1878 permitted the distribution of public funds to run schools on a payment-by-results basis and award prizes. This aimed to fill the gap in education provision which existed between elementary schools and the universities. Such schools would provide an ‘intermediate’ education and success would open up careers in the Civil Service and the Armed Forces and provide access to the Universities and the professions.
In 1878 a group comprising landowners, clergymen, business and professional people in Newtownards decided to take advantage of this provision and established The Newtownards Intermediate School. The school existed until 1895. It was revived in 1919, with its 34 pupils taught in Strean Hall in Mary Street.
In 1923 the school was re-named Newtownards Academy. In 1924, with a pupil population of 89, it joined with The Ladies’ School, which had operated since 1895, first in Victoria Avenue and later in Conway Square, to produce a larger school of 129 pupils.
In 1927 the Board of Governors purchased Regent House in Regent Street and, later that year, the Governors passed ultimate control of the school to the education committee of Down County Council. When the school moved into Regent House in 1928, it had grown to 155 pupils and the name was changed from Newtownards Academy to Regent House School. The school continued in Regent House until 1962 when, with 842 pupils, it moved to a new campus on Circular Road.
Second World War
1939 – 1945
IN GRATEFUL AND HONOURED MEMORY OF
ALL FORMER PUPILS OF REGENT HOUSE SCHOOL
WHO SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR
THE NAMES OF THE FALLEN ARE ENGRAVED BELOW
R A Doherty DFC
R K Eston
J M Gibson
G D Hamilton
R K James
T J McCloud
W M McDonald
J W Martin
THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY THE FORMER PUPILS’ ASSOCIATION
The tablet was unveiled on 31 January 1950 by Lieutenant Colonel Blair Mayne DSO and dedicated by the Revd Henry Savage – both former pupils.